Originally published July 14, 2011
.It really annoyed me that the decisions I’d made had changed this from a romantic top with wonderful fabrics to a peasant sack blouse. How could I recover?
I picked a few silk scraps from the trash and fashioned a tie of sorts in approximately the same place Burda chose. Ah, immediately, character improvement!
Because I didn’t like either a matching or contrasting hem band, I used a rolled edge on my serger finish the the hems independently from each other (i.e. the gauze is hemmed separately from the poly/cotton). I’m not sure it helped, but the rolled hem didn’t distract from the overall feel of the top.
I liked those ties. I did indeed. But the blouse was still lacking character. I knew I didn’t want pull one of the sleeves off my shoulder. Nope, not doin’ it. That left the possibility of a rose. As I looked carefully at my silk fabric, I realized that wasn’t a primitive print at all. No those were all heraldic designs such as you would see during one of the most romantic periods of all times as background for every knights ‘shield in every kingdom. A rose was a very important symbol during that time and would seem perfect especially if the viewer knows anything of this European era. I fished out another scrap from the trash can, this time of yellow cotton gauze and ignoring both shape and strings, I fashioned a fabric rose. Perfect! I’m still working on project #2 as this thought and action play out and had intended to stitch out a lace for project #2. During my search for #2’s lace, I found this amazing rose. Of course it doesn’t look amazing when you see the stitch files:
No at this view it’s more like “what in the world do we have here?”
I stitched the leaves (green) first, because you just never know. I’m pretty sure of the quality of this particular digitizer, but really you never know. Things can go wrong during download. My machine may not like files that your machine thinks are candy. FSL (free standing lace) which this is can all too easily become misaligned. You just don’t know until you stitch it out. In fact, I don’t do real FSL. Not since my Bernina Deco stitch for 3 hours producing the most beautiful, perfect copy of Mari Osmond’s angel. When I rinsed the water soluble stabilizer WSS part of the wing disintegrated. Well, it made a big rats nest in my strainer. No one else had reported this issue. In fact, most were awe-struck by the perfect. I never trusted a FSL file again. I use a sandwich of heavy WSS, tulle, and then light weight WSS. The leaves stitched in about 14 minutes. I was trimming the jump stitches while the design was still in the hoop, as is my habit, when I trimmed several of the important connecting bars. You just never know what will go wrong. Fortunately, I hadn’t touched the WSS or tulle and the stitched design as a whole looked perfect. I returned the hoop to the machine and stitched it one more time. I much prefer the design stitched twice. I really do and so when I stitched the flowers, I stitched them a second time. I trimmed most of the excess WSS and tulle, then rinsed briefly under the faucet. I rolled the pieces in a towel to remove most of moisture, then shaped the pieces over small jars and allowed them to dry overnight.