Burda 2011_07_113

Originally published July 15, 2011

.Whew a lot of posts about one garment.  But as I said in the second post, this garment was challenge for me both logistically and creativity wise. Although my first post was dated July 7, I had started thinking about this as early as June 26.  It took a lot of time and thought.  I feel bad for including so much detail because I’m afraid I’m boring some very good friends. But I want this much detail for me for future reference.  My little sewing journal contains only a few notes.  These blog posts contain the real “meat” of the process.  But to continue:


Once the rose parts were dry, I “trimmed” the remaining tulle.  I’ve got an older wood burning tool for decorative wood burning.  It’s got to be 35 years old.  For about a year I was really into wood burning and turned out a new piece every few weeks.  Trouble is, I was always copying someone else’s designs.  It ceased to be fully satisfying when I couldn’t create my own visions.  None the less, I held onto the tool.  It wasn’t cheap and I did remember many satisfying hours with its use.  Several years ago, at least 15, maybe 20 or 25 when we first started doing FSL and then adding tulle-insurance to our FSL, this heat producing tool was mentioned as an exceptionally easy and effective way to deal with the excess tulle. I dug mine out and have been using it for this purpose ever since.  So rose parts dry? CHECK.  “Trimmed” with wood burner?  CHECK. Assembled?  Time to dig out the fishing tackle box purchased several years ago when DH first discovered Cabela’s.  It’s amazing.  DH looks for hunting and fishing equipment, I look for crafting accessories in the same sporting good store.  There have been times, I’ve spent more money in his favorite store and it was all me.  This tackle box holds all my beads (or it did until DH gave me his collection of fishing beads.)  I also have a small plastic box in the top of the tackle box which contains extra jewelry findings and remainders of earring pairs.  I anticipated several delightful hours of looking, trialing and selecting what would be the perfect center.  So of course, I touched 3 things and found perfection in under 10 seconds. Does that ever happen to you?


My pearl earring is a large (I don’t remember the mm) and real. The stud was 10 gold just like my wedding ring.  I lost the other earring but was reluctant to discard this piece since I spent so much on the pair. (Does that ever happen to you?)  I had thought I would stitch the petals together; add the center bead(s); change thread colors and stitch the leaves to the petals.  With the earring, I attached all pieces in one quick motion.  I decided upon a separate ring to attach the rose to my garment.  I didn’t want the pearl which held the rose together to also support its weight on the blouse.  The simple ring along with a hump-backed safety pin should do the job.


You see two pins because I have pinned the ties separately from the rose and both to the blouse:



And Oh what a difference this rose makes to the finished garment:




I may not be completely done.  I’m still not sure about the hem. The placement of the rose and tie seems a little awkward. That may need to be tweaked.  I’m afraid that at their current length, the ties appear more to be an award ribbon of some kind.  I may need to tweak that a bit too.  But for now, I’m super pleased; and you dear reader, should be glad that this is





Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s