Despite having finished my 2nd night-gown relatively quickly, like the next day, it has taken me more time to post.
I use the same Burda pattern #116 in the May 1992 issue. The first version I shortened 2″. This was made full length which to me makes a very nice gown. I used a cotton/poly fine ribbing. It too is a Walmart purchase but had been used before. Just last year, as a matter of fact, and also as part of sleepwear. During the change over, I realized how poorly that had worn. It both stretch out of shape and pilled. I was quite disappointed as I had invested a lot of time via machine embroidery. I vowed to use it all up this time and not to make any extradoinary effort hence the only band is the neckband. The lower hem is serged, fused with 1/4″ SAS and turned up before top stitching.
I had serged the side/underarm seam and serge finished the sleeve hem. Trying to turn up the narrow hem without fusing didn’t work well. I didn’t want apply SAS now that the sleeve hem was circular instead of flat. Neither did I want to use the narrow hemmer foot. That foot works well with fabric that has been stiffened to board like appearance. A floopy, squirmy knit was not going to work well. I was thinking of just leaving the top unhemmed but serge finished when the wacky idea to try using my flat felling foot occurred to me. Holy smokes, it worked! The foot is big enough and the guides rightly placed to turn the edge up a scant 1/2″. I used the 3 step wave stitch lengthened to 12 (I don’t know if that is mm or steps or but it was 12 on the screen). The sleeve was already in a circle. When I returned to the start of the circle, I removed the fabric from the foot and let it float beneath. By that time, enough stitching and enough handling had persuaded it to stay folded about the same 1/2″.
This is definitely a hemming trick I will remember in the future.
I’m pleased to now have two, transitional-weather night gowns hanging in my closet; one to wash and one to wear.