Archives

Burda 2011 08 108

originally published Sept 6, 2011

.

Yes it’s not the most recent blouse completed. In fact, it was the orignal basis for my copy of the Anthropology Blouse which hasn’t worked out.  I was left with the tank from Burda August 2011 which was just too low in the front.  Question was could I make this tank wearable.  Answer is, maybe.

The fabric is a synthetic purchased during a visit to Walmarts $1 table.  I’m not sure if it is polyester, acetate or nylon. It does not have the typically wooden feeling that rayon would have, so that’s out.  I’m not sure if I care about the fiber or not.  It survives the wash, which is my utmost consideration. Also this is the last of the 4 or 5 yards cut that I originally brought home.

My first concern was doing something to fill in front neckline.  When I pinned the tissue together and tried it on Mimie, it met my minimum neckline. I totally spaced the fact that there would be some kind of seam  or neckline finish that would lower the neckline.  So I didn’t raise Burda’s neckline which is typically the first thing I do.  I’m rather exasperated with Burda on several accounts.  This could be the straw that breaks the camel’s back, or in my case does-not-renew the subscription.  But back to sewing, I noted immediately that at this finished point or a tank topf, the best solution was a dickie of some kind.  I measured the neckline, even drew it’s outline and considered making a custom dickie.  But I was also looking a machine embroidery designs for another project and decided to see if one of my already digitized dickies would work. Sure ‘nough, I found this one.  I stitched it out on Ruby because it was so large.  Even on Ruby it took 35 minutes.  This is a free-standing lace design, but I never take the chance.  There are too many things that can go wrong, creating a FSL that falls apart instead of stands-free.  I hooped a sandwich of heavy WSS, tulle, and topper WSS.  The finished design was slightly too large for the neck opening, which suited me just fine.  I basted the lace into place. Slipped the tank top and me to check placement and fit and then stitched the lace permanently to the tank top.  I made a second stitching 1/4″ from the first and then trimmed the excess.  The end result does fill the neckline and makes it feel comfortable on me.  But the truth is just a bit of my clevage is still visible.  This tank top will likely not be worn to far from home.

The side view shows that the armscye is, thankfully, not too low. However the front hem seems to be lifting slightly.

Unfortunately the back view reveals a neck binding which refuses to hug the neck, but stands proudly away.  I know I have an after-the-fact fix, but at this point, I’m not highly enough enthused about the whole thing to actually do what needs to be done.

I kept the tissue, but will probably discard it without making a second version.  I was hoping for a nicely fitting tank top designed for woven fabrics. This doesn’t work because the neckline is too low and there is no shaping in the side seams.  I’ll take the blame for the slight upward rise of the front hem, probably resulting from the narrow shoulder adjustment I applied. But I’m just not thrilled about this pattern.